Friday, February 25, 2011

So, I'm In Hospital...

Hello, all.  It's your old Building And Loan pal Spike here.  I thought I should probably give you a brief explanation as to why the show is going on a rather unexpected hiatus for a few weeks.  It's because I'm in hospital for open heart surgery.  Yes.  It's true... I *do* have one.

Details?  You want details now?  tchoh!  Well, here's the deal.  Your heart has valves - those are the bits that regulate the flow of blood in and out.  One of my valves is faulty and needs to be replaced before it causes some major damage.  What's happening is that the root of this valve, which should be water tight (or blood tight, I suppose) is leaking all over the place.  It's been diagnosed as "severe aortic regurgitation"; the blood that the valve should be transporting in and out of the inside of my heart is leaking it into other areas that will cause major damage, including into another valve.  From there it spreads to the lungs and then... woowoowoowoo bloop bloop.  Gave Over.

This isn't my first rodeo, I've had two of these surgeries before.  First in 1981 (yes, kids - I'm THAT OLD) to correct what appears to have been a random birth defect, and the second time, in 1991, to replace the first valve I had since grown out of.  Both times I had a pig's valve installed, this go around it's a prosthetic, which will last forever.  You want to know something *really* bizarre?  For the first time in thirty years, there won't be a part of a pig keeping me alive.  Weird thought, that.

Naturally, I'll be recovering for a while, but the minute I feel I can laugh again without it hurting, Paul and I will be making more shows together.  Not laughing isn't an option when I sit down with Paul, plus we've been stockpiling material for Seven From The Left, with at least two LPs that look like they'll be too good to miss.  The bad news is that because I will have to be taking blood thinners for the rest of my life, there's a pretty big chance I'll have to become - gulp - sober.  Like, forever.  A frightening prospect for a Scotsman, but at least I got to taste heaven.

I wanted to thank all of you who have sent kind messages to me over the past few days, it really means a lot.  As soon as I'm awake and alert and they let me have my phone or lappy back, I'll fill you in on the details.  So as I sit here, on open heart surgery eve, please remember that this isn't goodbye.  Not by a long shot.  It's more like, 'go and listen to the christmas special because i didn't put all that bloody hard work into it to have it ignored by the likes of you'.

Love ya.  Mean it.

S. =)

Posted via email from Paul&Spike: Too Grumpy Critics

No comments: